Our client is a leader in the paper manufacturing industry with operations in India and the US. Multiple plants in India, a large dealer network across the globe, and operations in the US make the company a global leader.
IT infrastructure of the company has been a changing landscape. From the early 2000s, the company was using Oracle ERP as the backbone of business operations. This was later replaced by SAP. However, the business users needed access to legacy data in Oracle ERP for reporting and legal compliance purposes. Hence the access to Oracle ERP was continued even though business operations were shifted to SAP.
Ellicium implemented a data lake solution to migrate the reporting out of Oracle ERP and helped retire the Oracle ERP solution.
Challenges with continued access to Oracle ERP posed the following challenges:
- High cost of maintenance of unsupported legacy hardware and very old version of legacy ERP,
- High license cost for maintaining the ERP for reporting purpose,
- Complex data structures in legacy ERP made self service reporting impossible.
- Total cost of ownership of legacy data reduced by 90%.
- Manpower requirement for supporting legacy data reduced by 75%.
- The company could retire Oracle ERP resulting in total cost saving of $ 0.5 million over 2 years.
- Time to access critical reports came down from average of 6 hours to 15 minutes due to redesigned reporting system in the data lake.
Overall, data lake on cloud helped the organization manage legacy data in a cost-effective way meeting the compliance requirements efficiently!!!