“Open the Power of visualizations”
Generally BI projects are start with very high-level of assumption that there will be complete transformation over the organizations. But at the end of the project results would be just a few of the good-looking dashboards and summary draws from same. Inline to start the new dashboard or report should start with asking below question: –
Are numbers giving any indication like good or bad news?
Are Visuals able show growth /row data /difference between categorically items?
Are visuals able to find root cause or slice and dice data at least granular level?
To view answers on your dashboard choosing right structural approach and type visual is important Read the blog to understand the Ellicium approach towards BI reporting and analytics. To start the project there is always one challenge in market for customer as well as IT called how to set the path of the project or how to open the power of visualizations. The issue comes from both the end generally customers (end users) are fails to adapt this new way of BI because in their daily routine they are using traditional reporting like exported data or created own reports or email from peers etc., where IT fails in starting phase of the project to sync up with end users and hence project loos the path. To balance the project from both end point, need to have execution method as mentioned in below diagram.
- Domain Theme: – Earlier understanding the domain area was not that important because all industry was using traditional BI where the requested report got created by the developer and deliver. Where currently BI ways have been changed and for the same understating the domain is as important as understanding the requirement.
To get this done having a good compound in the team (Developer/consultant/ business analyst) is essential. Before starting on modeling or understanding data team should get an overview knowledge of the domain. So, BI can add valuable insight into the report.
- Data Prep and Modeling: – The business database for the new BI project is Puzzled whereas mentioned above we need to have a team with all the combinations where our data tech expertise can understand this puzzled and provide a good data model. Where data model is always good to have relational or analytical dimensional modeling. It helps to increase intuitiveness provides high performance and is easy to maintain. Also resolve the complexity within the tables like cardinality (One to One, One to Many, Many to One, Many to Many), and data flow filters.
2. Customer Approach: – Customer approach provide a very border view of what customer is looking for and where they want to start. While starting the project customer always decides the scope of the project. Generally, a BI project starts with a single area of industry or one department. As Team understands the domain of the customer it’s very easy to relate with data and end user’s requirements. Forex. Customers want to start with the Sales department then showing variance analysis like good news-bad new YTD, YOY, MTD growth region bases analysis, demographic analysis, etc. is always good.
3. Wow Factor: – Creating visuals in any BI tool is very easy but showing real data insight is not that easy. Where bringing the wow factor is more important in the dashboard or report. Because other simple visuals fail to create an impression with end-users and they may lose interest in the report. Having a glimpse of a report’s wow factors is always helpful and customers have a very actionable report. To create the Wow factor can use visuals like Key influencers, De-composing tree, smart narratives, forecasting in trends, scatter plots with reference lines also categories pages with product base, region base, demography base, domain base, etc.
4. Storyline-based approach: – Storyline based approach is like Olympiad exam for students because connecting all dots and making a story from visuals is important. It will bring the business flow in the report and make an actionable item with the effective performance of resources. Also creating a story from data will make impression on customers. This approach will take the report to the edge of business.
Conclusion: Creating a report and dashboard is always easy where several reporting tools are available in the market. But the main thing is that bringing great insight with a good approach towards the new BI way is important. And This approach will bring all the into one and will open the power of visualization.
~ Dattaroa Dalvi